Today we have Brittany from The Book Addict’s Guide joining us on the blog!!
- Give us the history of you. (family life, where you’re from, etc.)
My name is Brittany and I’m the blogger behind The Book Addict’s Guide! I currently live in the outer suburbs of Chicago with my husband.
- When did you start blogging? Was this your first blog? I started blogging in April of 2012 so my blog is almost four years old now!
- What made you start blogging?
I totally started my blog on whim after my friend Lisa and I became obsessed with this used bookstore in our area. I started inhaling book after book and even though I was on Goodreads, I really wanted a place to review books and maybe help people enjoy some of the books that I had enjoyed! I didn’t even know anyone with a blog but somehow came up with the idea and slowly worked my way into the community.
- How did you come up with your blog name?
I’m a self-proclaimed book addict! I couldn’t stop buying books, even when I hadn’t read the ones I had just bought so the concept really kicked off my blog. It actually was “The Book Addict’s Guide to Reading” when I first started but I dropped the last part of it to be just “The Book Addict’s Guide” because I felt like it was too long… and I felt like it sounded like I was telling people how to read which kind of came across wrong.
- How long were you running your blog before you started getting many followers?
I don’t even remember, to be honest! It was kind of a slow and gradual process. I didn’t have many followers at all and then I started making friends in the community and really latched onto other book bloggers because they were just cool people! As much as I thought the followers were cool, I was so impressed to be finding friendships through blogging and that was what really spurred me to be even more active.
- Walk me through the process that you went through to get your blog to where it is today.
Well the short answer is a lot of trial and error! I can’t tell you how many times I’ve changed layouts, review formats, feature ideas, group projects, etc etc. My blog will always be changing and I think that’s a good thing! I like to continuously have new and exciting ideas/features but I also feel like I’ve finally fallen into a rhythm with my reviews and with my layout.
- How many books do you read in a month? Lately it’s been about… 8-10. I’ve been inhaling audiobooks lately so that’s been helping with my count! I have at least one book going at all times, usually two. Sometimes more!
- What book did you read most recently that you loved, and would recommend to everyone?
I’ll go with THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD by Emily Henry! It just came out on Jan 26th. It was just beautifully written, amazing characters, a wonderful concept, and it really spans quite a few genres.
- What are the top questions you get asked by your readers? I don’t really get asked too much. Whenever people ask me for advice about blogging, I always tell them to do what feels best for them. Really the whole point of having a blog is to have your own corner of the internet and it will shine best when you put your own personal spin on things. I have been asked how I come up with features and honestly, it’s totally random inspiration. My advice for that though is to always make sure that someone else isn’t already doing that feature and if there’s something similar to definitely contact that blogger before starting anything. It’s just respectful and courteous!
- If a new blogger came up to you today, and you only had a few minutes to talk, what would be your best blogging tip? I guess see above? Just be yourself!
- Have you ever liked the movie more than the book? Be honest!
- Are there any popular books you know you would never read? 50 SHADES is one I have no interest in. I don’t really have any intentions of reading any more John Green books (although I did just listen to WILL GRAYSON, WILL GRAYSON on audio so I surprised myself with that one. It was two of my fav narrators!) and I don’t have intentions of reading any more Cassie Claire books. I kind of want to read Percy Jackson but I don’t think I’ll ever make time for it. I don’t read many classics.
- Any new blog features you are working on?
Nothing new at the moment! I have too many going on already haha!
- What are 5 items you never leave home without?
Phone, wallet, a book/kindle in my purse, headphones, sunglasses/glasses. (I’m not very exciting)
- Anything else you would like to add? It’s not a blog feature but it IS book-related… I recently started a bookish candle shop on Etsy called Novelly Yours and I’m having so much fun with it! Stop on by to take a look 😀