Today we have the lovely Amber from Book Stacks Amber on our blog!! YAY!
Give us the history of you. (family life, where you’re from, etc.)
Hi, I’m Amber! I’m originally from Indiana, but now I live in Iowa, where I’ve taught deaf and hard of hearing students for the past five years. I adopted a dog four years ago named Roxie, and if you follow me on Instagram, I post about her constantly. She also used to by the header on my blog (and still is on Twitter)! When I’m not doing bookish activities, I’m on the board of directors for my local food co-op. We’re working to get a store open in our town. I also volunteer for a political campaign. I love baking, cooking, and crafts, and I spend way too much time obsessing over One Direction.
• When did you start blogging? Was this your first blog?
This is my first blog! I started it in March of last year.
• What made you start blogging?
I really like the book blogging community. I wanted to make new friends and talk about books with other book lovers. I chose a blog over booktube because I don’t feel comfortable being in front of a camera, especially since I am a teacher.
• How did you come up with your blog name?
I knew I wanted my name to be in my blog title. I worked as a library page back in high school and practically lived in the stacks, and then I just added my name to the end 🙂
• How long were you running your blog before you started getting many followers?
I still have less than 100 followers so I guess I haven’t reached that point yet.
• Walk me through the process that you went through to get your blog to where it is today.
When I started my blog last spring, I was only using it as a platform to keep track of readathon updates and the occasional meme or tag. I didn’t start blogging regularly until the end of October, when I revamped my entire blog, started creating graphics for posts and developed a better design that I was much happier with. I posted my first review at the beginning of this year. I have a hard time with reviews because my memory is awful (I often can’t even remember the main character’s name a couple hours after I’ve finished a book!). Reviews are very intimidating for me because I struggle to explain what exactly I liked about a book. Negative reviews are much easier! The more I write, the easier it’s becoming. I just have to remember to stop and take notes as I’m reading, which is something I’m learning to get used to.
• How many books do you read in a month?
I typically read between 4-15, depending on my mood and what else I have going on in my life.
• What book did you read most recently that you loved, and would recommend to everyone?
Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern. It was the first book I reviewed too!
• What are the top questions you get asked by your readers? (and the answers)
The thing I get asked about the most is my graphics. I use http://www.freepik.com/ to find almost all of the graphics I use, and then I edit them in Photoshop.
• If a new blogger came up to you today, and you only had a few minutes to talk, what would be your best blogging tip?
Start posting reviews right away. I held off for so long that it became intimidating to finally get that first one out there.
• Have you ever liked the movie more than the book? Be honest!
Yes! A Walk to Remember, The Notebook, and Gone Girl (hated both versions but the movie was more tolerable).
• Are there any popular books you know you would never read (i.e. 50 shades of grey, tell us which one)?
The Fault in Our Stars (gasp!), Outlander, The Vampire Academy series (I could probably be persuaded on this one), 50 Shades of Grey, the Mara Dyer trilogy, Game of Thrones (I did attempt this one at least)
• Any new blog features you are working on?
I want to start posting a weekly wrap up of what’s been on the blog throughout the week. I’m also considering a blog round-up where I share interesting posts from other bloggers.
• What are 5 items you never leave home without?
My iPhone (which doubles as my iPod and eReader as well), earbuds, keys, my planner, and water
• Anything else you would like to add?
Thanks for having me!